Saturday, December 15, 2012

Marriage, Moving, and My Master

My desire has been to sit down several times and update this, as I enjoy writing and find it as a therapeutic reflection of life.    That being said - I intend to be better at writing more frequently.   We finially got internet a few weeks back at our home, so that makes my accessibility to blogging so much easier!

 
October 20th, 2012 brought us an absolutely gorgeous fall day.    We had rehearsal the night before and we were all wearing coats, sweatshirts, etc .... as it was extremely cold and windy out on the hillside where we had the ceremony; and we all doubted whether or not we would be having this outdoor ceremony the next day.    But.... as always... My Master is Faithful in answering my prayers!
 
The weeks leading up to the wedding were filled with lots of joy, stress, and pain.    We made the decison to move back to Bethany a few weeks prior to the wedding day to help alleviate some of the stress of long distance planning and also assist with me finding a local job.    On October 5 we loaded up our Budget truck and drove from Fort Wayne to Bethany.    
 
Those next few weeks were filled with lots of misc. items.   I had several interviews in the Kansas City area, one in Cameron, one in Bethany, etc...   Greg and I had decided we would move where I got a job, and then he would job search from there.   Our hope was to be in the Kansas City area as it was close to friends and close enough to both of our families.     Counting them up I had at least 10 interviews with 8 different facilities:  most of them were in the field of developmental disabilities, one was running a women's shelter, and a third was a job at the local hospital.    I was running all over to dodge!   Our prayers throughout this time was that God would open up the doors he wanted us to take and guide us into our next move.    The week of the wedding I had 5 interviews, 3 on Monday and 2 second interviews on the day of the wedding rehearsal.   One such company, Community Living Opportunities based in Lenexa wanted to interview me for a position they had open in Lawrence, KS.    Even though Lawrence, KS was not on Greg and I'd radar we decided we needed to pursue all opportunities.   So during the height of wedding stress and families arriving to Bethany I was driving myself to Kansas City and then Lawrence for two second interviews.
 
Among the job searching stress we had also been facing questions about our choice of timing and us getting married in general.     The questions were coming from my grandmother, one of my aunts and cousin, and one of my best friends (whom was also to be a bridesmaid).   Mostly there fears were about the timing of Greg and I's choice to marry and Greg not having the opportunity to prove himself to them yet as a changed man who could support a wife and live without his addictions.
 
Facing opposition is hard, especially when its from people you dearly love and care about.    Their concerns and opinions were very important to me but I didn't want their fears to be the one that was guiding my heart and decisions.    So I PRAYED as I wanted God to be the one guiding me and to be the voice I heard over all the others.    There was several moments of doubt, fear, logic, where I laid there in tears wondering what I should do and I did what only  I could do which was lay all those fears at the throne of my Master.
 
In this process I told one of my best and dearest friends (whom was to be a bridesmaid), my aunt, and my cousin that if they couldn't support me and Greg in this marriage not to come to the wedding.    That was a tough thing to do and my heart still aches for the hurt my decision and words may have caused them.
 
So at 4pm on Oct. 20, 2012 as those doors opened I saw Gregory for the first time that day.  Tears were falling from his eyes and his bottom lip didn't stop quivering as I made my way towards him to become his wife.    God gave me the most precious and reassuring moment as I saw his face, I knew I was living in God's will and guidance as we made our way towards him.
Greg watching me come in
 

Me looking at Greg, trying to hold it together!

 



Communion - love the light orb around the elements


Love each of these women in my life and so MANY more not pictured - I am so BLESSED!

I'm on this road with my God and my husband, looking forward to walking forward in faith!
Long story short, we had a PERFECT wedding day!   And while on our honeymoon I got a job offer in Lawrence, KS.    So God has opened this door for us to live in Kansas for some reason, we are unclear of his purposes for us here, but we are here.    God seems to be connecting us with the right people here.... but that's a story for another day!

So many more things to share but I am so happy and thankful to be living with God at my side.   Lots to reflect back on in this past year and so many huge ways God has moved in my life and answered my prayers.    Living in God's will is not easy nor the norm to what our culture will insist upon, but I challenge you to listen to God's guidance in your life!   It's a road worth taking!

No comments: