Friday, January 11, 2013

Specific prayers to God

How many of you go to God with specific requests?

God continues to BLOW me away with his answers to my prayer requests.

You see, last week Greg and I were hit with a bombshell as we started out our new year.

Last October we put in for a transfer for Greg's parole to be moved to Missouri - at that time were told it takes 45 days to process - so Greg was given a travel pass from his parole officer as we started to transition back to Missouri for our wedding and seek out employment opportunities.    On January 2nd, Greg and his mom went to meet with the parole officer in Bethany as we had gotten word that she had received the transfer papers.   We discovered that Greg's transfer had finially come through - 3 months later - but for her to accept the transfer - Greg had to be living in Bethany.

This was a shock to our system since God had closed all the other doors for us when we were in the job search process and I took the only job offer we had in Lawrence, KS.      In our minds it appeared God wanted us in Kansas.

So now here we sit - in the midst of a lease that goes through July 31st.   Greg living in Bethany and me working in Lawrence at a job that I am highly disliking.    Greg and I decided we wanted to transition to Bethany, our only obstacles being our lease and employment opportunities.

So - insert my prayer requests -

Here is my journal entry from Wednesday evening:
"Lord - I am asking you for a very specific request. Can you send us a subleaser by the end of January? I so want to be with Greg, without the financial burden of our lease here - Please :) -- I trust your plan - but want you to know the desires of my heart. Please!"
'
Thursday morning I woke up EARLY for some reason and was wide awake so I decided to take that time and get into my daily reading:

I read Genesis 23:1-24:51 - God seemed to specifically speak from the story in chapter 24:1-51 which is the story of when Abraham sends his servant back to his home country to find a wife for his son Isaac.
 
 What stood out to me is that in this story is that  the servant prayed very specifically in his prayers to God

In Genesis 24, vs 12 "O Lord, God of my master', he prayed. "Give me success and show kindness to my master, Abraham. Help me to accomplish the purpose of my journey."
 
In verse 14 the servant shares with God his very specific request "I will ask one of them for a drink. If she says 'yes certainly, and I will water your camels too!' let her be the one you have appointed to be Isaac's wife.'
 
Then we see in verses 18 and 19 that God answer the servant's prayers.
 
As we continue reading in Verse 21 'The servant watched her in silence, wondering whether or not she was the one the Lord intended him to meet.'
 
It is amazing how even when God directly answered the servant's VERY SPECIFIC prayer the servant didn't recognize it or believe it right away. We so often question God's power to answer our requests, why do we ever doubt God's power?
 
As I continued reading Thursday morning, I pulled out my Joyce Meyer devotinal and read the following:
 
"Remember to pray with the same passion and intimacy that you reserve for your closest friends."
 
The following scripture verses were also included with this devotion:  
Hebrews 4:16 'Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.'
 
I feel like Thursday the Lord was telling & teaching me it is okay to come to Him and ask boldy and specifically in our prayer requests. 
 
My specific prayer request was for a subleaser for our apartment by the end of this month.
 
Today I got an email from a man looking for a first floor apartment that meets his handicapped needs.  We've been corresponding throughout the day via email and a phone call.  He has an incredible story of hardship and healing that he has briefly shared with us, and everything seems to point to him being prepared to sign a lease on our place on Monday.    It's not a done deal yet, but I cannot deny that God has yet again answered my VERY SPECIFIC request that I've placed at his feet.    On Monday I will be able to tell you the rest of the story, as he plans to come see the property and visit with the office.
 
As a believer  I want to be able to recognize and boldly proclaim when the Lord answers my prayers just as the servant does in verses 48-49 of Genesis 24.
 
To finish off my reading from Thursday the Lord had this verse for me:

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will direct your paths."
-Proverbs 3: 5-6
 
I challenge anyone reading this to ask yourself if you are seeking His will and allowing Him to direct your paths?    Are you intimately speaking to your Father and laying your specific requests before Him?    Nothing is too big for our God!    His answers may suprise us and may be better than we can ever ask or imagine for ourselves.

No comments: